Terms & Conditions
Web Design by Zarr
7. Your Information Definition "Your Information" is defined as any information you provide to us or other users in relation to the YouWriteOn.com site and service including the registration, review process, listing of items for sale (including, without limitation, any description of items listed), your postings on the message boards and any other content that you post on the Site other than your Creative Work. You retain all copyright and all other rights to your Creative Work. You are solely responsible for Your Information, and Your Information must not infringe any of the rules of conduct behaviour on the Site. To enable YouWriteOn.com to use Your Information on the site, you grant us a non-exclusive, world-wide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicensable (through multiple tiers) license right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and display such content throughout the world on our website and in any media. This is a standard practice for website content to enable websites to function and display information on their websites, view the conditions of use of major websites such as Amazon. Conditions of use are usually viewable at the base of most websites or through their help menus. You grant YouWriteOn.com and its affiliates and sublicensees the right to use the name that you submit in connection with such content, if they choose. YouWriteOn is part of the British Library Archiving Project, which from time to time takes a snapshot of the YouWriteOn site. The project's aim is to select sites to represent aspects of UK documentary heritage and as a result, they will remain available to researchers in the future. Members grant us permission to display/copy their work as part of the archiving project's snapshots of the website over different periods of time. YouWriteOn's aim is to help members develop their stories and creative skills, and by using the site you agree that we may utilise story reviews, including member and professional reviews, and other forms of feedback about your creative writing, to help members develop their own writing. You grant us the right to utilise and display feedback on the site, on site or non-site blogs, or via direct contact with members to help achieve this aim. Due to the nature of the Internet and individuals differing creative and other opinions, YouWriteOn.com cannot govern the responses to content you provide – be it reviews to your creative work, or responses to your message board postings or any other responses. You agree to waive your right to object to derogatory treatment or responses about your content or material. You accept that responses from others to any content you may upload or otherwise make available on the website will come in different forms – some negative as well as others that are constructive and positive. Individuals agree by joining the site – whether they are active participants or no longer participate including if their membership is suspended or removed - that any conflict on site forums and comments about them that by other members that they view as disagreeable is not the responsibility of the site, including legally and in all others spheres, but of the individuals concerned who may be posting to any site forums or public areas. The site is a free site which enable members to get feedback, with critiques from leading publishers, and by joining you accept it is not our role to arbitrate or act, unless we deem it necessary, when individuals can’t agree/don’t get on before, during or after their site membership, including re publicly posted comments by individuals.
You also accept that members will upload varying types of visual and written content, and that YouWriteOn cannot monitor the types of content that is uploaded because of the large amount of submissions we receive. While the majority of submissions to YouWriteOn are very mainstream, you accept that book chapters or other visual or written content may at times have content that some may find objectionable and that YouWriteOn is not responsible for such uploads. You can remove any reading assignment that you receive on the system, or simply not read it and it will be removed after 4 days automatically. You agree to waive your right to object to derogatory material. By using this website, you agree to accept such risks as outlined here, and agree that YouWriteOn.com is not responsible for the acts or omissions of users on the website. YouWriteOn reserves the right to remove membership if, at our discretion, there is evidence of negative and unconstructive behaviour by a member towards other members. As a measure to prevent attempted misuse of the site and any attempts at self-rating you agree by joining the site and participating in the site review-exchange process that if there are reviews from the same IP address for a story and/or the same IP address is highly rating a story then you agree we can post details to the site to show this has taken place, for example on the site messageboard to show why a story was removed from the site and/or site charts. You agree to give us the right to do so and you agree not to hold us legally liable as a result of our undertaking this action so that we may demonstrate why a story was removed from the site and/or site charts. You agree that we have the right to remove stories from the site and/or site charts at our discretion as we see fit and you similarly agree not to hold us legally liable as a result. To avoid any of these issues you agree not to attempt to review your own story, and you agree to inform anyone who shares an IP address with you or who lives in the same household etc that they should not review your story if they are also a site member. 8. YouWriteOn Message Board Usage Policies The public chat, discussion and help boards on YouWriteOn can be informative, helpful and entertaining. Before you start to post, please read and familiarise yourself with the following Message Board Usage Policies. By using the message board, you agree to abide by these rules of conduct. Whilst you are a member of the messageboard, you agree NOT to post any material which is:
· Inaccurate and/or defamatory
· Abusive, obscene, harassing, racist or generally offensive
· Sexually explicit or inappropriate
· Invasive of a person's privacy or private life
· Illegal under copyright law We have the ability to ban any member from the message board forum. Members must NOT:
· Use inappropriate or offensive user names
· Use multiple logins to cause confusion
· Include another individual's contact information and/or email address in a post
· Be under 18 years of age
· Use the message board to advertise or sell goods or services All messages express the opinion of the author, and YouWriteOn and its affiliates are not responsible for the content of any message. YouWriteOn has the ability to move or delete any message that contravenes our board policy and all posts are the property of YouWriteOn. Although the administrators and moderators of YouWriteOn will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. YouWriteOn is not responsible for messages left by YouWriteOn members. Messages are the sole responsibility of the authors who post them. By using the message board, you agree that the messages and content on the board are the sole responsibility of the authors that post the messages, and that YouWriteOn.com is not liable or responsible for the acts or omissions of users on the messageboard. YouWriteOn reserves the right to suspend or remove members who contravene the policies above, and reserves the right to otherwise suspend or remove members or messages without reason. The rules of conduct are in place to ensure that the messageboard is a positive and informative experience for all. 9. Member Warranty You represent and warrant that you own or otherwise control all of the rights to the content that you upload or post; and that, at the time that your content or material is submitted to YouWriteOn.com: (i) the content and material is accurate; (ii) use of the content and material you provide does not breach any applicable YouWriteOn.com policies or guidelines and will not cause injury to any person or entity (including that the content or material is not defamatory). You agree to indemnify YouWriteOn.com and its affiliates for all claims brought by a third party against YouWriteOn.com or its affiliates arising out of or in connection with a breach by you of others copyright or a breach of any of these warranties. You grant YouWriteOn.com the right to help publicise you and the site through your writing, and to display your writing on the site. 10. How YouWriteOn works - Development Periods and Competition Periods
YouWriteOn's premise is simple: Members upload novel excerpts or short stories. To receive feedback, you review and rate a story excerpt - assigned at random – and are reviewed and rated in return.
Development Months: During January to March each year and July to September all members provide feedback to each other so that collective feedback helps story development. The results for each month are displayed on the 1st of the month that follows, e.g. January’s results are displayed on 1st February. The development months of January to March each year and July to September are solely feedback by members to members without feedback from Random House or Orion provided on the 1st of the month that follows them. This means that professional editor feedback and critiques are not provided for the top tens for January to March and for July to September as displayed on the first of each month that follows them i.e. February 1st, March 1st, April 1st, August 1st, September 1st and October 1st.
The aim is to alternate development month periods where members concentrate solely on developing their writing as above with competition periods as outlined in the next paragraph.
Editorial Critique Competition Months April to June inclusive, and October to December inclusive, are competition months with the Top Ten from May 1st, June 1st, July 1st read by Random House or Orion who provide free Editor critiques to the ten authors from the thirty they consider have the most promise. The top three novel excerpts from the ten receive a longer editor critique, the other 7 from the ten receive a ‘mini-review’ of their story excerpts. Similarly, the Top Ten from November 1st, December 1st, January 1st are read by Random House or Orion who provide free Editor critiques to the ten authors from the thirty they consider have the most promise. The top three novel excerpts from the ten receive a longer editor critique, the other 7 from the ten receive a ‘mini-review’ of their story excerpts.
The site decides on which stories go forward from the 30 stories to receive the longer editor critiques and mini-critiques as above. The site, when deciding which writers receive editor reviews, can choose from any of the 30 stories from the months above and can choose stories regardless of their rated order in the top ten for a month. You accept by participating that the site’s decision is final. Thank you all very much for your stories and participation on YouWriteOn. YouWriteOn remains free at source and voluntarily funded including in time and resources.
11. Correspondence with YouWriteOn.com Visitors and members should not submit, post, or send any submissions of a creative nature other than the creative submissions currently allowed on the site – which are opening chapters, novels, novellas and short stories. The creative submissions allowed on the site may only be submitted to the site in the upload formats permitted on the site. If you send us any other unsolicited submissions in any other format – either by submitting them to any part of the site, posting them by mail, or forwarding them to us by any other means, we take no responsibility for, and have no liability in respect of the unsolicited submission in part or in whole, and reserve the right to remove unsolicited items. If you send us unsolicited submissions you release YouWriteOn.com from any claims that can be made in respect of your unsolicited submissions. 12. Age Conditions If you are under 18, you may use YouWriteOn.com only with the involvement of a parent or guardian. 13. Licence for website access YouWriteOn.com grants you a limited licence to access and make personal use of this website. Members agree not to copy, reproduce, modify, or otherwise adapt the site or any portion of it, nor to create derivative works from, distribute or publicly display, or permit others to display, any content which isn’t permitted, including content from the review exchange process, except with the express written consent of YouWriteOn.com. This license does not include any resale or commercial use of this website or its contents; any collection and use of any product listings, creative content, reviews, descriptions, or prices; any derivative or otherwise negative use of this website or its contents; or any downloading or copying of account or site information or for the benefit of another business or merchant. You agree that you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the website for any purpose without our express written permission. Additionally, you agree that you will not undertake any activities that results, or may result, in our sole discretion, to an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure. You agree not to interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Site or any activities conducted on the website. Third-party sites are required to ask the permission of YouWriteOn before using any site content involved and displayed via the process of YouWriteOn's review exchange system. You are given permission for a limited, revocable, and non-exclusive right to create a hyperlink to the Welcome page of YouWriteOn.com as long as the link does not portray YouWriteOn.com, its affiliates, or their sites, products or services in a false, defamatory, misleading, or otherwise offensive matter. You may not use any YouWriteOn.com logo or other proprietary graphic or trademark as part of the link without our express written consent. All content on the website created by YouWriteOn.com or its affiliates, such as text, graphics, digital downloads, data compilations, software or any other content or material, is the property of YouWriteOn.com, its affiliates or its content suppliers and is protected by United Kingdom and international copyright and database right laws. You may not use any meta tags or any other "hidden text" utilising YouWriteOn.com or its affiliates' names or trademarks without the express written consent of YouWriteOn.com. You also may not create and make available your own database that features substantial parts of this website or its concept or intellectual copyright without YouWriteOn.com’s express written consent. Any unauthorised use of the Site terminates the permission or license granted by YouWriteOn.com and we reserve the right to refuse access to the website, terminate accounts or remove or edit content as we see fit and without reason. 14. Site Copyright and Trademarks All content on the Site created by YouWriteOn.com or its affiliates, such as text, trademarks, graphics, digital downloads, data compilations, software or any other content or material, is the property of YouWriteOn.com, its affiliates or its content suppliers and is protected by United Kingdom and international copyright and database right laws. You may not use any meta tags or any other methods to utilise YouWriteOn.com or its affiliates' names or trademarks without the express written consent of YouWriteOn.com. YouWriteOn.com trademarks may not be used in connection with any product or service that is not YouWriteOn.com’s, in any manner that is likely to cause confusion among customers, or in any manner that disparages or discredits YouWriteOn.com. All other trademarks not owned by YouWriteOn.com that appear on this website are the property of their respective owners, who may or may not be affiliated with, connected to, or sponsored by YouWriteOn.com. You may not create or make available your own database that features substantial parts of this Site or its concept and intellectual copyright without YouWriteOn.com’s express written consent. You may not extract or re-utilise parts of the contents of the Site without YouWriteOn.com’s express written consent, including, but not limited to extraction or re-utilisation of data, or concept or intellectual copyright, by any data mining, robots, or similar data gathering and extraction tools. 15. Defamation claims Because YouWriteOn.com lists a large amount products for sale on the website and hosts many members Creative Works and comments, it is not possible for us to be aware of or to review the contents of each product listed for sale; or the contents of Creative Work, comments, reviews, or any other information or content that is displayed on the website. Accordingly, YouWriteOn.com operates on a "notice and takedown" basis. If you believe that any content on, or advertised for sale on, the website contains a defamatory statement, please notify us immediately by following our Notice and Procedure for Notifying of Defamatory Content. Once this procedure has been followed, YouWriteOn.com will make all reasonable endeavours to remove the defamatory content complained about within a reasonable time. YouWriteOn.com reserves the right but not the obligation to remove or edit any content on the Site. 16. Copyright claims YouWriteOn.com and its affiliates respect the intellectual property of others. If you believe that your Creative Work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please follow our Procedure for Making Claims of Copyright Infringement. Notice to YouWriteOn.com of Copyright Infringement If you believe that your copyright has been infringed, copy the Notice to YouWriteOn.com of Copyright Infringement below into your word processor programme, complete all the details required in the form, and email to us via the contact button on the youwriteon home page. Please provide your address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
Important Warning: providing fraudulent, misleading or inaccurate information in the Notice to YouWriteOn.com of Copyright Infringement may result in civil or criminal liability. -------------------------------------------------------- Notice to YouWriteOn.com of Copyright Infringement S T A T E M E N T I, [please insert your full name] of [please give your postal address], state as follows: 1. I make this statement in support of giving YouWriteOn.com notice that an individual or other entity is causing or contributing to an infringement of copyright on the Site. 2. The work in which copyright is claimed to have been infringed is [please clearly describe and state details of the copyright work(s) claimed to be infringed] ("Copyright Work"). 3. [I am] OR [I am authorised to act on behalf of] the owner of an exclusive right in the Copyright Work that is claimed to be infringed. [A person who is making the statement on behalf of the Complainant should complete the following:] The person or other entity claiming that its rights in the Copyright Work have been infringed is [please state name and address of the person or entity] ("Complainant"). I am [please explain your relationship to the Complainant]. 4. The Infringing Material (edit the following paragraphs as applicable): (a) [is part of a Creative Work) entitled (title and author or copyright holder)] available for purchase from YouWriteOn.com or viewable via the website as sample chapters or other creative work. The Infringing Material comprises [please describe where in the product the copyright work appears, eg give page details] of this product. OR (b) appears on the website at [please cut and paste the address of the relevant Web page or pages from the website where the Material infringing copyright appears]. 6. The use of the Infringing Material described infringes [my rights] OR [the rights of the Complainant whom I am acting on behalf of] in the Copyright Work and is not authorised by the copyright owner, its agent(s) or publisher(s), or by law. 7. I understand that this statement may be used in any court proceedings that may arise or result of the aforementioned claim of copyright infringement. Declaration I declare the facts stated above to be accurate and true. Signed: Date: -------------------------------------------------------- Notice to YouWriteOn.com of Defamatory Content If you believe that any content on the website, including content advertised for sale, contains defamatory statements, please notify us immediately by copying the Notice to YouWriteOn.com of Defamatory Content below into your word processor programme, complete all the details required in the form, and and email to us via the contact button on the youwriteon home page.