The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

Review Feedback << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > Literary Forums > The Writers' Circle Help Search Recent Posts
Review Feedback
Page 1 Last : 2 > Start New Topic Reply To Topic
YouWriteOn
 09 Jan 2006, 10:34 #355 Reply To Post
The quality of writing and member reviews has been of a very high standard.

See some examples of author feedback below.

Feedback from author about his book chapters entitled 'Clouds Gather':

Quote: 2548196, Wednesday, 28 Dec 2005 10:32
Thanks for a really constructive crit of the opening chapters of CLOUDS GATHER. I have been struggling with this novel for some time - the story is all there but it's how you tell'em that matters. I will take all your comments to heart and also look forward to seeing your own opening chapters on the website.
This post was last edited by Assignment Robot, 09 Jan 2006, 11:47
YouWriteOn
 09 Jan 2006, 11:34 #357 Reply To Post
Feedback from author about his book chapters entitled 'Heaven.Com':

Quote: ethelredthebrave, Saturday, 7 Jan 2006 10:29
Thanks to everyone for reviews of my chapters - whether people thought them good or bad , there's always been something really constructive in each of them. This has been really useful, there are things mentioned I would never have thought about as, like many writers, I can't view my own work objectively.

Feedback from author about her book chapters, provisionally entitled 'Lizzie's Curse':

Quote: janetuda, Saturday, 7 Jan 2006 15:31

Thank you for my first review of Lizzie's Curse, which is very useful . . You know how it is, you get so involved in your little fiction-world that you lose all sense of what impression it really makes to an outsider. So it's kind of scary, but essential, breaking out of that introverted little huddle.

Your suggestion for the novel is quite possibly brilliant. Really have to think about that, and possibly mention you on the Thanks To page! (you know, when it's published to huge fanfare by Faber or whoever . . .)
YouWriteOn
 10 Jan 2006, 11:28 #368 Reply To Post
Feedback from author about her book chapters entitled 'Tidley Oggie':

Quote: rachaelede, Wednesday, 4 Jan 2006 11:13

Thank you so much for your review! You have put loads of time and effort into it, and it is SO helpful. The comments you made about the boy (Tom) are interesting as I am struggling with him at the mo. Anyway, thanks again for the review. I will review yours in the next couple of days. I want to wait until I have a good stretch of time so that I can do it properly.

Feedback from author about her book chapters entitled 'Elsewhere':

Quote: HJW, Tuesday, 10 Jan 2006 09:13
Thanks Ethelred for the review of Elsewhere, it was really really helpful and the points you have raised are very constructive and reflected things that I think need more work (i.e at times I have erred on the side of keeping things too simple).

You have the honour of being the first person to comment on my work, other than my partner and a very close friend, and to get a view from a neutral third party is really great. I think this site is such a good tool for all us aspiring authors.

Feedback from author about her book chapters entitled 'Blood Shadows':

Quote:
Just to say a big thank you to you for the thorough review of Blood Shadows. I thought it was an excellent review - you should do that for a living..... You obviously took a lot of time and effort to write it and I really appreciate it. I felt the points you made were very valid and will definitely take them on board.

Feedback from author about her book chapters entitled 'Starquest':

Quote:
Thanks so much for your review of Starquest. It was great to have such positive feedback and I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I'm also very grateful to you for pointing out some typos I missed after revising for about the twentieth time! I will email you with some thoughts on the other points you raised. Every suggestion is most welcome as I really want to get this to the best standard I can. Thanks again.

Feedback from author about her book chapters entitled 'Woodsmoke and Wildflowers:

Quote:
That was a very good review you gave me Janetuda and thankyou. Some of your points have already been made by other reviewers and I have decided a bit of a re-write is on the cards. I am still not sure which genre it should be. As you say, it may not be enough for today's young teenagers, but I will think about that. Jack is not in the Army because he is over the age limit at that time. I think I have mentioned that in my next set of chapters which I have uploaded and you may like to read. Many thanks for a helpful review.

More feedback from authors

Quote:
Thanks for great review, in fact all three reviewers so far have I think got to the heart of the problem I knew it had. Would you believe I worked for a year with a reputable agent on this and still couldn't get it into a shape to please us both (that's AFTER I had spent 2 years alone on the draft). It would have helped so much to go through this feedback process from the early stages

Quote:
The feedback is helping me enormously. When more than one reader hits on the same weakness, bingo - do something. Reviewing the work of others is a lesson in itself. Somebody writes an atmospheric description and you wonder why you can't do as well yourself. Somebody else misses a plot opportunity and you realise you have done that too.

This post was last edited by Assignment Robot, 05 Feb 2006, 15:10
HJW
 11 Jan 2006, 13:26 #374 Reply To Post
Oi! I am a 'her'. Or I was last time I looked!
This post was last edited by HJW, 11 Jan 2006, 13:27
Are you hooked?

Oh blogger

Assignment Robot
 11 Jan 2006, 13:59 #375 Reply To Post
Quote: HJW, Wednesday, 11 Jan 2006 13:26
Oi! I am a 'her'. Or I was last time I looked!

Beg pardon - has been fixed above.

We should have known that such wonderful chapters came from someone of such feminine grace

*Help dog bites administrator's leg for laying it on too thick*

HJW
 11 Jan 2006, 14:57 #379 Reply To Post
*Gives help dog juicy bone*

Good boy!
Are you hooked?

Oh blogger

Assignment Robot
 11 Jan 2006, 15:27 #380 Reply To Post
Quote: HJW, Wednesday, 11 Jan 2006 14:57
*Gives help dog juicy bone*

Good boy!

*Help dog looks at bone .. surely some choco-biscuits would have been more in order*

We apologise for our ungrateful help-dog - I mean high tech help-bot.

We like your chapters by the way. Very readable.
This post was last edited by Assignment Robot, 11 Jan 2006, 15:28
HJW
 11 Jan 2006, 18:51 #382 Reply To Post
Thank you! I wish I had been a bit braver and put more of my chapters up- I think it would have been good to show where the story was going a bit more.

I thought help dog was looking a bit porky after the xmas festivities and that choco biscuits would not be a good idea.

*Runs off before help dog gets the cattle prod out*
This post was last edited by HJW, 11 Jan 2006, 18:53
Are you hooked?

Oh blogger

Assignment Robot
 11 Jan 2006, 21:02 #383 Reply To Post
Quote: HJW, Wednesday, 11 Jan 2006 18:51
Thank you! I wish I had been a bit braver and put more of my chapters up- I think it would have been good to show where the story was going a bit more.

I thought help dog was looking a bit porky after the xmas festivities and that choco biscuits would not be a good idea.

*Runs off before help dog gets the cattle prod out*

Hi HJW, you could always put a revised edition up .. see following messageboard link for more info .. it may be interesting to compare the feedback to the briefer version against a longer version ..

http://www.youwriteon.com/forum/thread.aspx?threadid=288

*The Dogermanator. Scene 1: Help dog whirrs his way through the site coding, like Neo from the Matrix, his steely teeth ready to eat the chapters of those who call him FAT.:omg:

Luckily, helpdog's attention is distracted by a gozmor - YUM YUM!"

HJW
 12 Jan 2006, 09:05 #384 Reply To Post
*Looks aghast at resulting mess*

Help dog looks even fatter to me. Did he eat a WHOLE gozmor? Those things are big, you know.

Are you hooked?

Oh blogger

Page 1 Last : 2 > Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 23 May 2017, 21:33