The free website to help new writers to develop, and to help talented writers get noticed and published Books

'Best children's books' list << Return To Main Site

Welcome to the YouWriteOn Forum

**News Random House & Orion Editors to continue free reviews of YouWriteOn Top Ten Writer  - publishers of many of the world's bestselling authors 

YouWriteOn Authors'  Congratulations to our many authors achieving sales and signings successes through  Waterstones, Amazon and others! 

YouWriteOn Message Board > Literary Forums > The Writers' Circle Help Search Recent Posts
'Best children's books' list
Page 1 Last : 2 > Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Book News
 08 May 2010, 08:31 #87897 Reply To Post

'Best children's books' list revealed by Puffin

The Very Hu8ngry Caterpillar Eric Carle's classic sells every 30 seconds somewhere in the world

A list of 70 children's books said to be the best of all-time has been compiled by publisher Puffin.

Fantasy classics Peter Pan and Alice and Wonderland make the line-up for babies to teens, compiled for the publisher's 70th anniversary.

The pirate adventure Treasure Island and the tear-jerking classic Watership Down also feature.

The classic counting book The Very Hungry Caterpillar tops the list of best bedtime books.

Eric Carle's title sells a copy every 30 seconds somewhere in the world, according to Puffin.

The list is divided up into categories including mischief and mayhem, weird and wonderful, and best blood and guts.
Source BBC Click to view list in pictures - source Guardian
Book News
 08 May 2010, 08:33 #87898 Reply To Post
What was the first children's book you recall having a big impact on you? For us it was the hobbit, people our size who get their own house away from the parents and have the same kind of feet issues ..
This post was last edited by Book News, 08 May 2010, 08:33
SteveP
 08 May 2010, 10:14 #87907 Reply To Post
Quote: Book News, Saturday, 8 May 2010 08:33
What was the first children's book you recall having a big impact on you? For us it was the hobbit, people our size who get their own house away from the parents and have the same kind of feet issues ..

Flat Stanley was the first book I ever bought for myself, and after reading I would stay up nights worrying about the wardrobe falling on me!
JAB
 08 May 2010, 10:17 #87909 Reply To Post
When I was in infant school, Teeny Tiny and The Witch was the only book my mum ever bought me from the Scholastic Book Fair. I read it over and over and over and ........
JAB
Athene
 08 May 2010, 10:23 #87910 Reply To Post
Cicely Mary Barker's "Flower Fairies of the Garden." I spent most of the rest of my childhood searching the garden for hard evidence of fairy occupation, and forced my small brother to assist.
This post was last edited by Athene, 08 May 2010, 10:23

Scias te fortasse Romanum esse si animal convivialissimum arbitreris esse caprum
(Henricus Barbatus)

my website
annswinfen
 08 May 2010, 10:55 #87915 Reply To Post
I started to read very young, taught by my elder sister. At five I read and fell in love with The Wind in the Willows. I remember the enchantment of the river world, the mystery of the great god Pan, the comedy of Toad's adventures. However, I must have unconsciously cut out the word 'the' before 'the Rat', 'the Mole'. I thought of them as Rat and Mole. Even to this day it maddens me to hear someone reading it (correctly) aloud and putting in 'the' in front of the names!
Joe 90
 08 May 2010, 12:39 #87929 Reply To Post
Amen to Wind in the Willows. Narnia Chronicles, Railway Children, but above all, for me the Annual treat of a Rupert Bear Annual. In the heyday period when Alfred Eadmedes Bestall wrote and drew the stories from his retreat in Beddgelert, N. wales, the arrival of the Rupert annual was, for me, imperative.
Where else will you get story lines like:

'Dad', (says Rupert, to his father who as always is in the garden, smoking a very non pc pipe) 'Where does all the smoke from bonfires go to?'

'Don't know son.' (Wouldn't inspire a parenting skills advisor this one.)

and so the stage is set to discover where all this smoke from bonfires up and down the country goes. The answer? It is channelled by a network of cunningly concealed pipes to volcanoes that 'use and awful lot!'

If you're unable to read, well, guess the story from the pictures. If you can only read a bit or are tired, read the rhyming couplet that so often ends with:

"And so they tell of where they've been
And all that they have done and seen.'

If you're clever, read the full story at the bottom. Notice the tiny figues that appear at the head of the page, all drawn from other stories. Lose yourself in the endpapers or the paper-folding exercise. All for a couple of shillings. The main element, missing from so many books today is love. Bestall, and other artists who took up the mantle of illustrating Rupert did it for very little reward.

And yes, I still read them.
my website
Book News
 08 May 2010, 13:26 #87945 Reply To Post
And Asterix of course ..

Marita Hansen
 08 May 2010, 14:04 #87952 Reply To Post
Quote: Book News, Saturday, 8 May 2010 13:26
And Asterix of course ..

I used to love Asterix as a kid.
JAB
 08 May 2010, 14:24 #87955 Reply To Post
Yep, I remember Asterix very well. And I WAS the lazy one who read the rhyming tale at the bottom of the Rupert annual
JAB
Page 1 Last : 2 > Add To My Topic Watch List Start New Topic Reply To Topic
Server Time: 26 April 2019, 15:34